November 19, 2011

Blog Post #13

For blog post 13, I choose option 2, which was reading the My Teacher Is An App article. The title of the article pretty much tells us all. Stephanie Simon and Stephanie Banchero are the authors of this article. In this article, they talk about how 250,000 students were signed up for full-time online schools. These students were in grades kindergarten to twelfth. The students were able to access all of there school work from at home. This includes class work, tests, and homework. The article goes on to explain that the schools offering this online- schooling did not have as many teachers because the teachers are not in the classrooms teaching. At schools like this, the teachers were simply there to answer phones, emails, and video conferences with the students. However, Some of the schools did require that students attend some classes at school. One example from the article was at the Southwest Learning Center require that students come to class at least 14 hours a week. This reminded me much of Dr. Strange's class, where all the work is online, but some classes are required that students attend.

I have many feelings about this article. I feel that students should have regular schooling up to a certain age. I do not feel that is it a good thing for elementary students to have online classes. I think that them are the years that students really learn the ground rules for the rest of their lives. Like, how to work with other people in groups. Younger children, especially, need to be in the classroom because not all children learn the same way and can read instructions off of the computer. Some students need that teacher to actually teacher and show them how to do something. I know that I was like this as a child. Just since I have started taking college classes have a taken an online class. Now that I am older I do enjoy taking the online classes. They are much more convenient. I like being able to do my work around my schedule. When I become a teacher I hope to use many forms of technology in my classroom. There has been so much new technology that I have found out about in edm310 this semester. I have really enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mallory,
    I understand your sentiments on the online schooling for such young children. However, I feel that if students are collaborating, Skypeing, and otherwise interacting with students, this could be a fantastic way for children to experience other facets of life while still gaining a complete education. I enjoyed your summary on the article and I believe I will read it for myself to understand more of your views. Thanks for the recap!
    P.S. Well written post, and just a couple typos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mallory,

    Good post! It seems like the majority of your classmates chose to do this article also. It is interesting that many of you have the same views on how students need some social time with their friends. I agree that hybrid classes would be the best fit for many of the students. I'm not sure yet about the elementary age students. I will have to think about that more.

    Good job Mallory,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete