November 20, 2011

Additional Assignment


1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
I believe that I missed the metaphor because I tend to be a very literal person. I do not usually use them. As I can see, many people missed this assignment. I think that this was because people thought too hard and were not able to look outside the box in order to grasp the idea of it referring to technology and not real pencils. After, reading and completing this additional assignment, I went back and read the post from Tom Johnson again. I understood it a lot better this time. I believe that now I would be able to pick out metaphors.

2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you create a log of them?
Mr. Winkle Wakes

3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
I think we could incorporate them more into the classroom. We as educators could talk about and include them more often so that students get more practice with them. We could also make it an assignment by letting the students come up with their own metaphors. Obviously, metaphors are commonly missed. By knowing this, we as educators must teach our students about metaphors.

4. Why do we use metaphors?
I think that we use metaphors to make students think outside the box. Make them really analysis and think about what they are reading. Sometimes a metaphor is quick and easy and will easily express the idea to the listener with very few words. Metaphors are used to make it more convenient for the speaker.

1 comment:

  1. Mallory,
    I agree with you about the metaphors. I had to look hard to actually find it and understand it. Like you, I am also a very literal person and forget to look at things outside of the box. I hope we can all take away from this assignment to start looking for metaphors and understanding them better. Good post!
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete