October 29, 2011

Blog Post #10

Do You Teach or Do You Educate?

By watching this video I realized that there is a difference between being a teacher and being an educator. I have never really thought about it being two different roles. I have just always thought of a teacher and educator as being one. I am so glad that I got to watch this video, it really showed me how wrong I was.

Now that I an aware of the difference I am glad to say that I want to be an educator for my students. I don't want to just be a teacher and give my students instructions. I want to be a role model for them and inspire my students to learn. I also want to be there with guidance for them. I feel that all teachers should watch this video and learn more and educating not teaching. When I have my classroom of students I want them to know that I am an educator not just a teacher.

Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!


Tom Johnson's post was mainly about how people tend to focus on the problem more than the solution. When a problem occurs it is best to focus on how something good can come out of it, or even work to make something good come from it. Like in this post, taking pencils home was not such a bad idea because he did not care what they were doing with the pencils because it was keeping their minds busy. I hate to think that there are teachers out there who are more concerned with the test scores. Let students "bring the pencils home". They are learning something even if they are using their pencils to play Hangman!

2 comments:

  1. What does Morgan Bayda have to do with the Teach/Educate video? What do your two paragraphs have to do with the assignment? Did you watch the video? I don't think so.

    Johnson: You missed the metaphor. You are not the first. Additional Assignment: Read these three posts:

    1. Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

    In that post there is a Special Assignment. Do that assignment in a new post which is Additional Post #1. It does NOT substitute for Blog Post #14 as it did in the Spring semester.

    Due midnight Sunday November 20, 2011.

    2. Metaphor Discussion Update

    3. Jennifer Asked: Why Use Metaphors? Here is My Answer

    4. For more information also see:
    You Missed the Point! It's Not A Pencil…"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re did my blog post #10. I hope it is better this time.
    I also see that I missed the point in Tom Johnson's post. I will be sure and do the additional assignment

    ReplyDelete